Minsterworth is a village in Gloucestershire, UK. It lies on the border of Gloucester, on the north bank of the River Severn (effectively on the western side of the river) and on the A48 roadbetween Gloucester and Chepstow, at grid reference SO774170. Minsterworth has a parish council. It is reputed to be the longest village in Europe.
Present day, Minsterworth has two pubs, (The Severn Bore Inn, & The Apple Tree Inn,) one church,( St Peter’s,) a primary school, Minsterworth C of E, and a village hall. The sub post office, butchers shop and waterski club, often attributed to the village, actually lie outside the parish boundary.
The Village of Minsterworth is an Acorn Class 2 area and is one of the more desirable areas in Gloucestershire and the most desirable village in close proximity to the city of Gloucester. Average incomes are very-high and interest in current affairs is high.
Minsterworth is under Tewksbury Borough Council and Gloucestershire County City Council.
Minsterworth is one of the best places to view the Severn Bore, where people can be seen surfing and water skiing from the local water ski club.
The village has a long history, at one stage being owned by the rebellious baron Simon de Montfort. Its economy used to be heavily involved with salmon-fishing in the Severn, as illustrated by a carving in the local church of three salmon caught in a fishing net. Fishing for elversremains an important activity. The local church, St Peter’s, lies right next to the river, with three ancient yews in the churchyard. It was rebuilt by Henry Woodyer (who had earlier worked on the nearby church in Highnam) in 1870, but contains many older features such as a fifteenth century baptismal font, a Jacobean era pulpit and part of a fourteenth century cope.